L's Logbook

This is weird

There is a woman in my church who has been very faithful in attending and participating. She has a rather difficult life, since her two oldest sons (ages 14 and 15) have begun to go the wrong way; they both have plenty of negative influences and few positive ones. I met the younger of the two when I was hanging out in the neighborhood, and I had heard about the older one from his mom, but I couldn't match the name with the face (everybody on the street has a nickname, which makes them hard to identify). When those three guys tried to forcibly take my car a few weeks ago, I thought the oldest and biggest of the three was her older son, but I didn't know for sure, since he was using a different name.

I've talked to the mom at church a few times, and Bob told me to call her, so I did. She talked to me for a little bit and got my phone number, and then she handed the phone to her son who, sure enough, was the big guy who had mugged me a few weeks ago. He reminded me who he was (don't ask me why!), and then he just tried to engage in small talk. He asked me, in the customary way, about women in my life, using unfortunate terminology and imagery that I cannot publish here. Of course, I gave him the same answers that I had given many times before to the same types of questions. The conversation was brief, surreal.

I haven't told his mom that he was involved because I don't want her to feel bad. I don't harbor much ill will toward him, and I certainly don't have any hard feelings toward his mom. Maybe reconciliation is in the future, although I will demand an apology from him first. I certainly don't want to burn any bridges. His little brother hasn't gone as far as he has, and his mom and Bob both believe that the brother needs "guidance." Maybe this is another opportunity?

2 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Maximus Doom said...

My friend, this is a very intense situation. My hope is that you don't confuse opportunity with discernment. Sometimes apples fall from the tree and roll down the hill.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Luke said...

Thank you sir. That is my hope as well. I do wish I had more wisdom, and I don't want to be a fool who learns only from experience. But I can't help but agree with Teddy Roosevelt: "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion, spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never tasted victory or defeat." Perhaps I should stay home and pray about this even more, but the very plea of Isaiah 58 is to stop praying theoretically and start working proactively. Some apples stay on the tree and rot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home