L's Logbook

An expensive mistake

Remember the cheap Trans Am I bought as a second car? It's been nothing but trouble since I bought it. It didn't cost much, and I tried not to spend too much to repair it, but I had to invest a sizable amount of money to fix safety-critical items like the brakes. After experiencing numerous problems over the past few weeks, it finally refused to start. When its rear tire slowly leaked all its air, the apartment management threatened to tow it if I didn't move it immediately. Since it would cost hundreds of dollars more to repair, I sold it for a pittance and took a major loss. I never liked this car, and I am very relieved to see it go, although the financial loss stings big time.

You may recall why I got into this situation in the first place. It is clear to me and others that driving my primary car into Brookside is foolish; everyone recognizes it, and several of them want to take it. Thus, my interaction with the kids would devolve into a silly cat-and-mouse chase and distract from more important matters. I bought the Trans Am so I could have a cheap car that could be secured and/or abandoned easily. Although I had wanted to get a sensible, fuel-efficient, and relatively ugly vehicle, my friend W insisted that I buy an attractive car so the kids wouldn't shun me. I never really agreed with him, but since he had given such good advice regarding locating Brookside and getting involved initially, I decided to take this one on faith. I don't hold him responsible in any way for the outcome, but maybe I could have avoided it by following his advice only when it made sense to me.

The next step, since I still need a "hood car," is to revert to my original plan and get a sensible, fuel-efficient ride. It will most likely be a early '90s Civic. If the kids don't want anything to do with me, fine. I can't afford a hot car, and driving one may suggest the insidious notion that financial wherewithal is the barometer of success.

Speaking of money and expensive things, the closing on my house has been delayed. I had a professional inspection performed, and the two major concerns that came to light were the roof, which has minor hail damage, and some mold in the basement and on the chimney. Since neither was on the sellers' disclosure, the sellers need to remedy them (if they don't, I'll probably walk away). It will take a couple of weeks to finish the work, but I'm just happy I don't have to pay for it. The house has a range which leaks a noticeable amount of gas, so I need to replace that, but they had already included a price concession for the decrepit kitchen. And the furnace is ancient; although it functions normally, I will probably replace it because a new one will easily pay for itself in energy savings.

Did I mention that I am absolutely itching to get past these materialistic obstacles and actually get involved in Brookside? I don't enjoy my cars, and I don't enjoy my house nearly as much as I should; rather, I view them in purely utilitarian terms: they appear to be the bridge to building substantial relationships with kids in the neighborhood.

I think I'll go to Brookside as soon as I get my "new" car, even if my house isn't yet available. Maybe I can at least pick up a couple of good guys and take them out to eat and chat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home