Rest in peace
The memorial service for Roger was tonight, and it was a very wholesome time. The folks who shared memories of Roger did a good job of balancing praise for Roger's wonderful personality with honest acknowledgement of his addiction.
Each Sunday, Roger went to another local church after he attended ours, and several members of that church came to the service. The pastor's wife described how she had met him two years ago. He had stumbled into their Tuesday night Bible study "quite intoxicated," but he soon showed an interest in attending. He was hesitant because of the color of his skin (it's a black church, and Roger is white), but she assured him that God wasn't a respecter of persons, and neither were they. Roger told her that he prayed every day. "What do you pray for?" she asked.
"I thank God for giving me another day," Roger replied. "And I ask God to please give me a little money so I can get something to drink."
She and the other members in that church reached out to him in many ways. One of the deacons said that he felt very close to Roger because he, too, used to be an alcoholic. Roger said he wanted to be a deacon just like this guy, and so the leadership got together and promised him that if he quit drinking and stayed away from alcohol, they would make him a deacon-in-training. It was obvious that these folks loved Roger a great deal.
A policewoman who had befriended Roger also shared some thoughts. "In the IPD, we're used to dealing with rather unpleasant people, as you can imagine. But Roger was always kind and gentle. He was not obnoxious." When other officers had to lock Roger up, they would half-jokingly apologize to her. For his part, Roger was very proud of his friendship with certain police officers.
For my part, I think I'm more sad about the tragedy than I was on Sunday. Roger was certainly a very kindhearted person who never hurt anyone. He did have friends who loved him, and everyone is sad that he's gone. The memorial service was hard on his family. Although I still think the statements I made earlier are correct (Bob's friend actually did get Roger a job, but Roger wouldn't take it, and Roger steadfastly refused to go to Wheeler's recovery program), I'm now less angry at him and more sorrowful for him, since he hurt himself more than anyone else. I don't know Roger's heart, and perhaps he faced difficulties that I don't know about or can't comprehend. I'm confident that he is now in a better place.
3 Comments:
I empathize with your sorrow ... he reminds me of a former friend of mine.
But one thing that concerns me is your last sentence: "I'm confident that he is now in a better place."
Is he really?
First Corinthians 6:9-10 says: "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither ... drunkards ... shall inherit the kingdom of God."
I am just asking, not condemning. I don't know.
This verse has always haunted me, because of my friend.
In his case, Matt. 10:42 has been a comfort, although I can't say it promises salvation. Also, I couldn't know his heart. Perhaps he knew Jesus in a way that didn't fit my born-again mentality, or perhaps he came to know him in the final days after I last saw him.
Ultimately, I am glad to leave the case to a Just Judge whose love is much bigger than mine.
There's no way I can know for certain. I based my comment on the assurance of several folks who knew Roger much better than I, since they are in a better position to evaluate his character and intentions.
Jesus taught that people who follow him must leave their former lives and behavior—if they don't, they're not following Jesus at all, but only paying him lip service. However, the process of repentance is not monotonic, since people fail many times before they succeed. It is conceivable that Roger was trying, in his own (admittedly ineffective) way, to rid himself of alcohol. He told the pastor's wife a couple weeks ago that he wanted to "overcome." Roger did have a humble heart, and he admitted his problem and trusted Jesus for healing, at least from what I can gather. His breathtaking lack of results may obscure a heart that was groping in the darkness to find God, and maybe God knew that he was in the process of repentence. I hope for the best.
I do, too!
Thanks for elaborating. You're so right that overcoming addiction usually involves a forward-fail-forward again process.
Praise God that His love for us is so deep that we cannot even comprehend it!
Post a Comment
<< Home